Thursday, September 26, 2013

Terry Fox Run, New Blog feature and Math stories

New Blog Feature
Thank you to everyone who attended our recent Open House. It was great to talk to each of you. I loved how excited the children were to introduce you, be the host/hostess by getting you cider and proudly show their work to you.  Chatting with each of you helped me to gather information about how I can better communicate classroom information. For example, after talking to a parent about how they followed the FM twitter feed, it occurred to me that I could provide that for you on this blog as well. This enables you to not have to navigate back and forth between our school website and this one. Also, it will give you those little daily details that I may not always include with this blog. If you look to the right under the list of dated blog posts you will see the twitter feed. Thanks to Mr. Cann (our wonderful librarian) who helped me figure out something called a 'widget ' and how to embed it onto this blog. As well, I also added google translate should you or a family member prefer to read this blog in another language. I use google translate quite often for my own 'art blog reading' as many of the best weavers are from Sweden. And let's face it, my Swedish is not so great. However, I find that google translates quite well with occasional semantic or meaning errors but you can still get the main points and ideas. 

Terry Fox Run
Tomorrow is the big day. We do a warm up and then the whole school gets out and runs a clearly laid out course around the school. I put in your child's agenda the sticker that says "I'm running for...." and attempted to explain what is appropriate to write on this sticker but you may have to do a little more explaining. I did read the 'Terry Fox' story and the students were very serious and respectful listeners. One student even said, "isn't it sad that we will always remember Terry as young because he can never get old". No truer words.


Math Stories
We are beginning to start our addition and subtraction unit using math stories by way of introduction. Students are learning how to use strategies to assist with quicker computation and number familiarity. 
Example: (Counters, pictures or objects are provided for students to create the following math stories...)
Addition story 
5 +6 = 11 (think 5+5 is 10 and one more is 11)
Subtraction story
11-6 =5   or 11-5=6
For more information, please look back at this previous link I wrote that explains some different strategies we will introduce this year.

Open House Art
Did anyone get my subliminal pun with the children's art? "We hope you leave with a good impression".  So, the children made 'leaf impressions'. 






No comments:

Post a Comment