Thursday, September 19, 2013

Raz-kids, Dreambox , Owls and patterns

Raz-kids
Inside your child's agenda is the new teacher log-in passwords for this year. I would encourage you to join the parent portion as you can monitor your child's progress as they go along. I have enabled the 'Bookroom' and the 'Raz-rocket'. I will go over levels this weekend and update those when I get a chance. 
Here is the link: http://www.raz-kids.com/main/Login
If you see students on there who are from my previous class, this simply means their teacher has not updated their class roster yet. 
                                     Happy Reading!

Dreambox
Our school is so lucky to have the opportunity to purchase the computer program 'Dreambox'. I will update soon with more details. However, this is a math program with some of the interactive and engaging features that Raz-kids has for students. I'm really looking forward to starting this soon during computer lab time. It is also going to be another way to do math homework so I'm interested in learning the features and teaching them to my students. 

Owls in the Family
Our chapter book is 'Owls in the Family' by Farley Mowat. We are really enjoying it. Lots of laughing and asking great questions. 



Patterns/ Math
During our morning work, we are reviewing math concepts. In our regular math time we are learning new concepts. It is always interesting to see what students retain from the previous year. Since I have taught many of the students last year, I know what I taught. So they can't say 'I never learned that last year'. Doing the quick review each morning really affirms where I need to go with a lesson and what skills need consolidated before we move on. Here is a patterning chart that we co-created during our review lesson. Many students remembered some aspects of patterning but it was absolutely necessary to review.


Looking forward to seeing many of you at our Open House next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment