Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A sneak peak of our classroom!

School started very smoothly this Tuesday. I am looking forward to a fabulous year teaching a straight Grade Two! We are off to a wonderful start with learning new routines and expectations. I sent a 'Welcome' note home in your child's agenda today and hope that you will visit this blog to find out 'what's new'! 

Building community
Whenever a new class gathers, it is important for the teacher to build a sense of community. A way to do that is simply to take the time to 'find out' about each other. Our school uses the language of 'Tribes' (a book that provides the foundation for most community building activities) that most Halton District schools use as a basis for teaching learning skills, cooperation and team building. This year we made 'cootie catchers' that I found at 'Scholars choice' (the teacher store) but I also think they could be made quite easily. I'm not sure what the technical term for 'cootie catchers' is and I only remember vaguely running away from anyone who touched me and told me I had cooties as a child so I think pictures are necessary.
 Students answered such questions as "My goals for this year are..." or "A subject I am really good at is..." and then played it with various friends in the room. It worked really well once I modeled how to use it and how to play.



Classroom set up
Desks are set up in groups of 4 in an L formation. This way all students can be facing the direction of the round table so I can assist students as they are working and am quite close to all the action. 



The carpet area with the Smartboard is where I do my focus lessons, read alouds and calendar activities. All our supplies are located there for easy access.
.
Our classroom library with books organized by author or subject. Favourite books are on the mini-round table in organized bins for easy access.


Our talking word wall, with our 'Word Wall Words' low enough for easy access using the Smartpen
My desk area, with a guided reading table (see the blue, half moon shaped desk). This can be used for mini-lessons. Under the table are small whiteboards and guided reading book sets ready for small groups. 


This is the end of our tour for now. Please visit weekly for updates (I'm usually pretty good at updates...although occasionally life gets in the way). Our first trip will be early October to Safety Village (yes, we get to drive around in those little jeeps!).






No comments:

Post a Comment