Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy 2014!

2014
I'm looking forward to welcoming the students back to school after their holidays. There are lots of things planned for our return. I hope everyone had a great holiday and survived that brutal ice storm we had just before Christmas. It was a little scary out my way. I did have part of a tree come down on the hydro cable leading to my house. 

It took two days before help arrived but I'm grateful that they removed it before the line snapped. I had no power for 2 days but I just slept by the wood stove and pretended to be a pioneer. Of course using this mug from one of my students really helped to cheer me up! 




Healthy Eating/Nutrition focus
In January, many people set goals for themselves and begin New Year's resolutions. This seems like a great time to talk to the students about 'healthy living' as part of our upcoming health unit. A big focus will be on thinking about 'balanced meals', 'portion sizes', 'reading labels' and understanding what they mean towards our overall wellness. To make it fun, I will be demonstrating how to make a healthy snack and students will get an opportunity to try it if they would like. (Of course I am aware of all student allergies and will be mindful of that). My goal is to have students be able to consider their food choices in a more informed way.  The students may ask you questions about food as we are going along. I hope that you can support this focus by limiting junk food during this time. Of course, I will be presenting a balanced approach so it shouldn't get too militant. The occasional treat is fine... that's the good part about being a child :)

I will be posting more information soon about upcoming units and trips. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment