Friday, October 18, 2013

Seasonal activities

Shared Reading
As you know, this week was a shortened week due to the Canadian holiday Monday for Thanksgiving. Did you read the 'I can Read like a Pro' shared reading with your child? When I told my family that I decided to go with the Canadian version of events (Martin Frobisher) instead of the American history (pilgrims, Mayflower etc.) the reaction was hilarious. Apparently no one knew the Canadian version of events except my Dad who was a former history teacher. 

Remembrance Day cards
Florence Meares P.S. has a wonderful tradition whereby the students make cards for war veterans who attend a gathering in Oakville. It is difficult to teach students who are so young and thankfully unaware of war, how to be respectful and what to write. Finally, after much discussion we were able to come up with some kind words to communicate our respect. An unintentional funny moment happened when I realized we were making Remembrance day cards before Hallowe'en while the children were singing Christmas songs at their desk. I pointed this out and we all had a good laugh :)



Home reading
Home reading will start with some students next week. I am re-thinking what to do with my really high readers (and thankfully I have many). I have noticed that many students have already developed those higher level decoding skills and enjoy self selecting chapter books or series. So, I am thinking that these students might enjoy choosing their own library books and adding a writing component monthly. I think if a student is enjoying reading, I don't want to make this tedious so am considering making it optional with some incentives to provide initiative. I have a few ideas but just need some time to talk to the students and get their input too. The purpose of adding a writing component would be to support comprehension skills, build vocabulary and improve structural knowledge of language. 

***Dreambox has a link on this webpage*** Go into the 'Fabulous Websites' tab and you will find it located at the top of the list. I think this might be easier for students find on their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment