Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome 2013!

                                                      Hello to the New Year
Welcome back everyone! Hope the holiday season was restful and that you are looking forward to 2013. I always find that after Christmas the children look a little taller and some skills begin to consolidate much more quickly now. Thank you to everyone who had a chance to look through pencil cases and replace those little things that have gone missing, dried out or just needed to be labelled. Also thank you for the kind notes or wee gifties that were bestowed to me in December. I did send thank you cards in the mail but if your child did not get one, please let me know. I think modelling sending 'thank you' cards is a good skill for students to see. As well, I really did feel spoiled. Will be wearing a few of my 'purple' items in the next few days.

                                                         Author of the Month: Jan Brett
                                     
This month we will be enjoying the author and illustrator Jan Brett. You may have read some of her more well known books such as 'Gingerbread Baby' or 'The Hat' but she is really such a prolific author that there are enough fabulous books to last us the whole month of January. I love the Scandinavian designs in her illustrations and students love that the books have such a wide range of animals in all of them.

                                                                    Weaving
I would like to do some weaving with the class using paper, wool or found materials. If you have a chance, I would really appreciate some styrofoam trays (largest possible but smaller ones are fine too). Although I have some of my own materials to contribute, it would be great if anyone has a family member that knits who might be able to send in some wool. Any thickness or colour is fine...we aren't picky! Over the holidays I managed to make a few woven items myself which I will share with the class. Wish I could bring them to my house to show them the large counterbalance looms. Oh to be Ms Frizzle and be able to travel by Magic school bus!

        Will be sending more information about 'Guided Reading', 'Math' and 'Writer's Workshop' soon.
                                   Have to get myself back into the swing of things too!

No comments:

Post a Comment