Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Did you know....?

A  fun fact you may or may not know...
While  fumbling,  procrastinating, thinking about what to write about this week I came across a wonderful resource which is free! I know many of my students have access to iPads or tablets and seem quite adept at using them. A good life skill for students is to learn to use this technology to access free library materials. A virtual way of visiting the library! So, did you know about Zinio? Here is the link for the Hamilton Public Library https://rbdg.envionsoftware.com/hamiltonon/zinio/ but I'm sure there is a similar link to the Burlington Library. I found many free children's magazines available to download instantly! I located these age appropriate magazines... Owl, Chick a Dee, Chirp, and National Geographic (you might need to peruse this one first...you know why). The magazines change monthly and the downloads are for 2 weeks or more. I found some well known magazines for grown ups as well (Canadian Living, a knitting magazine,Yoga, Weight watchers and many more). I like that you can take screenshots of recipes or patterns to save for later. I guess it is the virutal way of cutting out a recipe without the little bits of paper lying around the house that you can never find when you need them. I still like the feel of a magazine but I like the portable, lightweight quality of downloading magazines too.
                                                             Happy reading everyone!
Here are a few examples...
         
                                                                                                                                         

4 comments:

  1. The Burlington Public Library doesn't seem to support Zinio :-(

    At least I still have Google Currents.

    Thanks for sharing Ms. Fink and I love your Blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Cann! Guess I'm learning too. Is Google Currents something you could share with us? You should still be able to download zinio magazines without a Hamilton library card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google Currents is an app that is available on Android devices:

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.currents&hl=en

    With access to many mainstream magazines and newspapers, Google Currents helps fill the gap for those of us without Library access to Zinio content.

    I hope your readers find this app useful.

    ReplyDelete