Saturday, September 20, 2014

Terry Fox Run, Reading chapter books, Learning skills

Terry Fox Run
This week our 'Me to We' team held an assembly led by our Senior students to introduce the upcoming Terry Fox Run. We watched some inspiring videos of Terry's original 'Marathon of Hope' and his message to all of us. Please consider donating to our school goal of raising one dollar per student. I read this book to my students and we had a great chat about Terry Fox and his story. The students asked such great questions.
                             


Our Florence Meares', Terry Fox run will be held on September 24th at approximately 1:45 p.m. Hope we have lovely weather and a great school run! 

Books, books and more books
We have read many books already! As you may have heard, reading aloud is an integral part of my program. As well, I like to foster a real love of reading early by introducing books of all different variety and levels. I particularly have a love for well written humorous stories. We talk a lot about what we have read together which is the beginning of the 'shared language' created within our classroom community. Here are some of the stories we have read so far.

Chapter Books too!
We have also read two Roald Dahl beginning chapter stories. Everyone knows his 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' book but I like to introduce his lesser known works like the 'The Minpins' which is a lovely story about little people with suction boots that live in the trees. It is a great adventure story with a lovely ending. Other fun books include 'The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me' or 'The Enormous Crocodile'. 

Learning Skills
Understanding learning skills; knowing what those big words mean and working towards a goal is a big focus for term one. We co-created a learning goal chart using our understanding of what the words mean for us and what it may sound or look like. This year my students made an excellent suggestion. As I was creating the chart with them, they suggested I use 'word bubbles' to put the 'sound' words inside. I think this turned out really well and I already see students looking at it as a reference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment