Friday, June 20, 2014

Father's Day fun!

Father's Day Art
Hope every Dad enjoyed their 'Groovy' card and gift. Have to admit that tie-dyed socks was an idea that I had been thinking about for a while but wasn't sure if it would work. The key is to find socks with a high percentage of natural fibre (Cotton, not acrylic). Then lay the socks side by side when you are putting the dye on to create a similar effect on both socks. I know they look a little 'colourful' but they are fun. When one student said to me, "what if my Dad won't wear it because they are too crazy" I simply answered with 'hey, my Dad ate everything I used to make in my easybake oven and that was cooked by a light bulb". Sock wearing is easy compared to having to eat some of my doughy disasters made back in the day :)
Here they are being made in the classroom. Socks have been tied with elastic and now the dye is being added by squirt bottle.

                                          Here are a pretty wild pair drying!

Here are all of them after I washed them one evening and let them dry outside naturally. The heat of our weather helps the dye become more permanent. (however, I suggest you wash them separately to start, just in case)
Lots of smiles on the faces of the children as they set off home with their cards and gifts.

I will be making a final post about how to avoid the dreaded 'Summer Reading Slide'. It will be full of fun websites with links, ideas for local summer trips and suggested 'hot reads' for the summer. Stay tuned for more! 




No comments:

Post a Comment