Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sharon and Bram, Letter Writing, Fads

 What a great way to start the week. We went to see 'Sharon and Bram' perform their famous music for us. Yes, the finale involved the 'Skinnamarink' song! ( I actually looked up how to spell this). You may remember them from the 'Sharon, Lois and Bram Elephant show'. Perhaps you grew up watching them on television.


Letter Writing
We are getting ready to learn about 'letter writing' as a text form. Today, we tried to solve a mystery involving a letter written to us with 11 common errors. Most students found 5 to 8 mistakes which tells me I have some work to do. I will post some pictures of our progress as we go along. We will be writing letters to Santa this year using our Halton chatt website. The focus will be on persuading Santa to visit our house. I'm looking forward to hearing the rationales. Should be interesting. 

Fads
Here is the latest fad, which made me reflect on how many fads I've seen in my teaching career.

Ninja turtles (with artist names like Michaelangelo etc)
Power rangers

Pogs

Bey blades and stadium (have made at least two appearances)

Pokemon (I once had students chase me into the washroom, peer under the stall door in order to help me solve a Pokemon crisis involving a bad trade...will never forget this. They didn't even notice what I was doing as they were so focused on the cards)

Digimon

Nano pets (which needed to be fed and if taken away would make dying noises in my desk drawer!)
I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

And now...Rainbow looms

Winter 
Sounds like we are in for a bit of winter. I recently made this soup and it was wonderful. You really do have to add the crunchy bits - they make it!!! This will absolutely warm you up!
http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/pumpkin-soup/

Have a great week and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment