Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Remembrance Day




As long as I have been teaching, I have always grappled with the concept of how to teach primary students about Remembrance Day. In Grade Two, we talk about 'Traditions and Celebrations' as part of the curriculum. The conversation usually involves pointing out to children that Remembrance Day is not a celebration but there are traditions that we do to observe the sombre occasion (the assembly being held this Friday at our school is an example of that).  At this point, I am usually staring at blank faces. So, how do I teach students even slightly what this day is about while walking that delicate balance of 'not scaring them' and 'making a lasting impression'?
     I usually start with a version of the story of Sadako. 
                                                              
        
There is a story book and a chapter book and Mr. Cann our wonderful school librarian has them all. If I am teaching Grade 3, I usually go for the chapter book but since I am teaching younger students I will be reading the picture/story book. This is a sad story as it is a non-fiction account about a little girl living in Hiroshima after the war. Although, the story doesn't get into too much detail the children are always interested in seeing the real pictures of Sadako's monument in Japan and all the paper cranes.
                                                                
 I look at this story as 'planting the seed of understanding' with my students. I have always found that as students get older they always come back to tell me about how they read the book again or in one case a student actually went to the monument and thought about me reading her this book in Grade Three (she is now in University...I feel so old). 
So tonight, as I organize interviews, proofread reports and make dinner...I am also folding these....just to help students remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment