Monday, October 1, 2012

Thanksgiving, and a few turkeys!

Thanksgiving
The Grade One students made some turkeys to decorate for Thanksgiving. The Grade Two students will be making their turkeys this week (they will be to decorate the window). I think the Grade One students enjoyed the 'stuffing' of their turkeys more than making the turkey itself since we used my hot air popper to make the popcorn....(known for flinging more  popcorn into the air than the bowl). Please remember that this weekend is a long weekend with a P.A. day on Friday (no school for children but school for teachers) and the following Monday off for the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope everyone enjoys a great time with their family and friends.
                                                                  Raz-Kids
Each student has been given a Raz-Kids account and I have put the log-in information into each child's agenda. I have also imported student information (if they are in Grade Two) or created an account (if they are in Grade One). Using the Smartboard, I showed the children how to navigate the site, read their levelled books and use the questions at the end to get points towards their Raz-Kids rockets. I will monitor each child's progress and change the level where appropriate. However, each child has access to the 'bookroom' so there are lots of opportunity for student choice for selected reading material. Raz-Kids is quite a highly motivating way to read. I always think that I wish there had been something like this when I was their age. I remember 'scratch and sniff' books came out when I was in elementary school but by the time you got it from the library, the scratch part was usually  scratched away and all that was left was a dirty mark....sigh!
I understand that Book -Flix is giving some people grief so will talk to Mr Cann to see what the problem may be and will communicate that to all if a solution is found.


No comments:

Post a Comment